Skip to main content

Risky Business

I don't typically review the books I listen to on cassette or CD - I tend to listen to mysteries or thrillers or other 'lighter' fare that usually amuses but doesn't inspire deep reflection in me. But some authors are exceptions to the rule - and Maeve Binchy falls into this category.

Binchy writes great novels, and has great, complex and lovable characters. She's also inspired in me a love of Irish names, making me want to claim my 1/32 or so Irish-heritage. I've listened to Circle of Friends, Evening Class, Scarlet Feather, The Glass Lake, Tara Road, Night of Rain and Stars, Quentins. Inevitably with my favorite authors I run out of books that I've not yet listened to. So I was glad to happen on London Transports, the American title to Victoria Line, Central Line. This is a collection of 22 short stories. I'm not always a great fan of short stories - they're just too short for me. I like long, detailed novels. But Binchy's stories were just right. In each of the stories, her characters find themselves at the point of making a decision. They have to decide - do they take a risk, or play it on the safe side?

I am not a risk-taker, not in most situations anyway. I am not a thrill-seeker. I don't like roller-coasters. I'm never going to go bungee jumping or sky-diving. I can barely tolerate regular flying. I'm ok with this. I don't mind being more serious and steady. I try to find a balance of trying new things and saying "no thanks," and so far, I've been happy with my choices. Not feeling in fear for my life, and not feeling like I'm missing out.

But a different kind of risk-taking is emotional risk-taking. Risk-taking in relationships. Risk-taking in faith. Risk-taking with, in some ways, more serious consequences, and more wonderful rewards. Listening to these short stories, I was sure of what I would have done - rooting for the characters to take the plunge, to put themselves out there. I could see so clearly the right choices. In my own life, I have sometimes been less bold, wondering, after the fact, how things might have worked out differently if I'd taken the risk. Not regretting - but wondering.

I think risk-taking is also a matter for the church. Being part of the early church was risky business. Today - perhaps still risky, in different ways. Risking being relevant? Risking committing time and energy to an institution so many have written of as not worth the effort? Risking doing things in a new way, often without the support of congregations, or leaders?

Are you a risk-taker?

Comments

David said…
Beth,
Thanks for the sermon, this seems to be where I am at the moment. I want to do some of the things you talk about as bigger risks, but I really NEED to do the other emotional and spiritual risk-taking
Peace,
Anonymous said…
I preached a sermon about risk in November:

http://www.xanga.com/SacramentServer/386551957/item.html
Beth, could you leave your bio for the OT devotional over at http://ordinarytimebook.blogspot.com/

thanks a lot :)
I loved Victoria Line, Central Line though I'm not usually a Binchy fan.


Risk-taker? I think I am though I hate it. A risk-taker in relationships, a risk-taker in church (UMC is NOT mainstream in europe! but rather conservative at least here in Finland) and so on...

I'm not into parashuting etc but scuba that was a different thing - pushing myself to the edge of fears and learning to enjoy it. The reward a giant turtle and a (small) shark :)

thanks for this post. Made me think - which is, I think, what you intended.

Funny I too don't like short stories much. I like to get 'into' the character and the situation.

not into books on tape /CD but I think that if I were in the US and driving a lot I would. Just in Europe we are less mobile so we can get out on old fashioned paper back and luxuriate as we turn the pages :)

be blessed

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been