Skip to main content

Review: Jesus Christ Superstar

Yesterday, I participated in one of my favorite Lenten traditions: I went to see The Salt City Center for the Performing Arts' production of Jesus Christ Superstar, my favorite musical. I have been going to see this particular production every year since I was twelve years old. A tradition now for more than half of my life!

The first time I saw it, on a trip with my church UMYF, I was already familiar with the music, but what clinched it for me as a favorite was my instant crush on the actor, Henry Wilson, who played Judas Iscariot. I went back to see the show again that season, and then every year after that. Henry only played Judas for the first three years, and I have seen him again in 'cameos' on anniversary years of the theatre's production, but my love of the show and the music survived my crush! I've since been intrigued especially by Judas Iscariot, and eventually wrote my senior religion paper in college on Judas in literature.

Tonight was Salt City's 29th Annual Production of Superstar. (Syracuse Post Standard review here.) Last year, the theatre had their building, an old synagogue, condemned, so they've been performing their shows here, there, and everywhere. Superstar was at Most Holy Rosary Roman Catholic Church for the second year in a row. I know the show so well, and so little changes in the production, that I often feel I could march up on stage and join the production. This year, I felt a little breath of fresh air might be in order. The chorus seemed only mildly interested in the fact that they were onstage. I felt like they just happened to be on stage, but without any real interest showing in what was happening around them. During big chorus numbers, they could hardly be heard. It seemed like they just were not singing!

Fortunately, most impressive were Jesus (Casey J. Ryan) and Judas (performed alternately by Terry LaCasse and Paul Valentino, Jr. - I saw Terry LaCasse.) Terry LaCasse as Judas did a great job, especially with his numbers in the first act. His death scene was a little shaky, but I blame this on the trouble they seemed to have with the noose this year - a powerful scene usually, this time I found myself distracted from worrying if they were going to get everything hooked together correctly. But LaCasse had the vocal range and clarity need to handle Judas' role.

This is the second year I've seen Casey Ryan as Jesus. Out of all the years I've seen Superstar at Salt City, I've been at least three other actors perform the role of Jesus. Casey Ryan is by far the best. He has the best voice - he hits the entire range of the difficult part without much apparent effort - and his acting skills are well beyond those of what I've seen from previous performers. I don't mean to criticize those who came before - I've always loved the show - but I thought this actor made for the most complex, intriguing, expressive Jesus we've seen in a long time. He was especially good during the trial and crucifixion scenes. Lucky for Salt City, Ryan is only 25 (I read some reviews of his other theatre work in the area) so hopefully he'll reprise his role for several years to come.

'Til next year - I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement on dates in Ted Neeley's Farewell Tour - the actor who played Jesus in the movie version will give a last run in the touring show. I've seen Neeley three times on stage now, and he never fails to impress. Last time I saw him he was in his mid-50s, and he could still hit every note.

Comments

The Ole '55 said…
At one point, I think I had memorized the entire libretto to JCS. That experience convinced me that people could memorize vast amounts of text if you set it to music. For me, that had a significant impact on how I understood the "how" and the "why" of worship.
Anonymous said…
JC Superstar has been very influential in my understanding of Jesus' final week on earth. I've owned the original album (that's a plastic disk about 11" around) for 35+ years.

A few years ago, my wife bought me tickets to a production in Omaha, starring Ted Neeley. It was awesome.

After all these years, I can't go through Palm Sunday without singing to myself, "Hossana, Hey sanna."
Beth Quick said…
m lewis - I think you are exactly right. In New Testament class in college, I actually found myself going through JCS lyrics to see if I could remember an answer to a test question ;)

john b- thanks for 'album' definition. Made me laugh out loud!

Cindi - thanks for the link. I tried it the other day and couldn't get the page to load. Tried again today and realized I was just being too impatient. The page loaded, and lo and behold - the tour is coming to a theatre about 20 mintues from me this September!!! I can't wait.

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been