Skip to main content

General Board of Church and Society Meeting - Reflections, Part 1

I’ve been in DC this week at the Spring meeting of the General Board of Church and Society, which is my excuse for my lack of posts this week. I have several posts mentally written in my mind – Holy Week reflections, a theatre review, two book reviews, etc., but so far they remain in the mind and not on the screen.

The board meeting went well, quickly. I always enjoy being here, and I always feel challenged and inspired by talking about the work we are doing in the church for justice. I will use a few posts to share some highlights with you. Jim Winkler opened with his General Secretary’s report, which I will come to in a later post when I can link to the text on the GBCS site. I always enjoy his reports and his eloquent presentation of our work.

As a side note, I also met John Lomperis, IRD staff, in person today, after knowing his name from long reading his comments often over at Shane’s blog. I’m reminded of taking my doctrine and polity classes online in seminary and then one day running into the professor on campus – a real person! Sometimes after hanging out in the world of blogging I’m surprised to run into the actual real-life people.

On Friday, we spent a session as the board with Rev. Eric H. F. Law, a consultant/trainer who helps religious institutions and other groups deal with issues of cultural diversity. (Rev. Willy, I think, asked about how/if we did this work before – we’re still working on it!) Eric led us through a time of learning how we talk to one another – really talk and share and engage in meaningful conversation and dialogue – when we have such differing theological views, have power issues, have issues of race and gender, etc., that keep us from feeling safe and open and willing to share. He shared with us his working definition of inclusivity – not an “anything goes” model, but instead that a group is inclusive when it acts openly when its ‘boundaries’ are being challenged.

He also talked to us about the “Cycle of Gospel Living.” He proposed that the entry point into the cycle of gospel living for the powerless is empowerment and endurance moving to a focus on the empty tomb, resurrection, but that the entry for the powerful in the cycle is in the act of giving up power and choosing the cross, focusing on the cross and death. We talked about how difficult it is for the powerful to give up power. Isn’t this true? All of us have different kinds of power, and I have yet to find many who want to give up the power they have, including myself. We’d like others to have power, but not if we have to give power up for them to get it.

Continuing in the same theme in some ways, Saturday morning in our daily opening worship, Rev. Ricarte Rapisura, board member from the Philippines, gave a sermon based on 2 Corinthians 5:14-17. He focused on the continuing abductions and murders of human rights workers in the Philippines. He shared about the countless young adults workers who have been victims of these crimes, but that the workers remain unwilling to give up their work, even in the face of such a dangerous climate. I have to admit that I doubt that I would be able to be so brave, so committed, when it came to a threat on my own life. I could be so brave if I was protecting the lives of my family or loved ones. I hope I could be so brave in protecting the lives of those with whom I did not have such connections. Could I be so brave as to give my life for beliefs? For the cause of human rights? For the hope of social change? I’m not sure, and I admire such dedication.

I have a lot more to write about, but I wanted to conclude this post by letting you know that I got to worship today at Foundry UMC, where Dean Snyder is the pastor. I got to meet Dean in person, and told him we all missed him/wondered where he was in the blogosphere these days (as if he didn't have enough to think about with hundreds of people trying to greet him on the way out the door). He said he's thinking about coming back, so we'll see. It was great to worship at Foundry after hearing so much about it. A small detail I really liked: Dean asked during sharing time for individuals to commit right then and there to visit folks whose names he lifted up. I really liked that approach - everybody becomes part of congregational care.

Comments

gmw said…
Hi, Beth. Also posted these at Wesley Daily...

"We talked about how difficult it is for the powerful to give up power. Isn’t this true? All of us have different kinds of power, and I have yet to find many who want to give up the power they have, including myself."

Quite true. That may be one reason that we all seem so interested in framing our conversations in such a way as to present the other group as the one with the power and our group as the one that is struggling to wrest power from the other. We'd rather get the empty tomb and hand them the cross!

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been