Sunday, March 12, 2006

Women Blogging

Lately Shane and John have both commented on the growing size of the Methodist Blogroll and thus the Methodist Blogger Weekly Roundup. Our growing numbers are super - remember back when the MBWR highlighted about 10 blogs? I think it is super that so many Methodists, lay and clergy, are sharing in this tool, blogging. I've certainly enjoyed my blogging experiences so far. With the launching by Shane of Wesley Daily, I've specifically been wondering about women and men and blogging. The first several posts at Wesley Daily were by men. One post from a woman blogger. Then some more men.

Before you think I'm picking on Shane, let me say - my noticing led me to look at the Methodist Blogroll as a whole. Waay more male bloggers than female. I didn't count everyone, but I'd guess there are at least 3 or 4 times more men on our list than women. The posts at Wesley Daily reflect the Methodist Blogroll membership. So I did some quick google searches on women and blogging and came across some articles I found interesting. Theories and arguments (in these articles about women blogging primarily on political issues) about why women seem less present.

Theories include: women less likely to engage in the out-and-out fighting that goes on in some blogs. Men less likely to link to women and thus provide women traffic to their blogs. Women less likely to promote their own blogs (mentioning their posts in comments, advertising, actively cultivating readership.) I'm not sure what to make of the theories, though I think that I can see myself in some of the theories. I have definitely cultivated readership of my blog, but haven't advertised and usually don't mention my posts outside my own blog. And I am definitely turned off by the angry debates that sometimes happen on blogs.

My own experience of women blogging has been enriched by my participation in the RevGalBlogPals group self-described as "An Open Table set for a diverse group of people -- women pursuing or discerning a religious vocation -- and their friends". Over a hundred blogs in this group, mostly women, and women pursuing or discerning a call to vocational ministry. Not all Metho-bloggers - an ecumenical community. A different space in the blogosphere, which I appreciate.

Just some observations. No conclusions. Thoughts percolating in the brain made in to a post. Do you have thoughts to share about men and women blogging?
Post a Comment