Skip to main content

Review: A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren

I just finished reading A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren. I know, I know, I'm way behind the buzz on this book, and Brian McLaren in general. It took me a while to get interested, and then a while to get to reading it.

I wasn't sure what to think about the half-story, half-non-fiction approach to the book. I guess I liked it better than I might reading all of these ideas in a straight non-fiction book, but it was weird to read a not-novel masquerading as novel. I can't help investing in the characters when I'm reading a novel, and these weren't exactly regular characters. At the end of the book, I can't help but think: What happened to Neo? Also, Neo was a little "too cool" for me. A little too messiah-figure-esque. But, I guess when you are talking about systems and paradigms, modernism and post-modernism and beyond, if you actually talk to much about the thing, you miss the point, if that makes sense. So maybe the style of the book helps not miss the point!?!

As for content, I agreed with a lot of what McLaren had to say. McLaren is upfront in his introduction about his probably audience, and as what is classified definitely more as a "liberal Protestant" (his label) than evangelical, I'm not it. I did indeed sometimes feel like McLaren was making arguments/propositions that I feel are already widely accepted in "liberal Protestant" circles. But he still challenges, and I mostly enjoyed the read. For starters, I think many pastors (at least myself) can relate to the character Daniel's sense of being overwhelmed, feeling like he has no new avenues to explore in ministry, fed up with some of the day to day details, etc. His 'burn out' factor is easy to relate to (eek, perhaps I shouldn't say that only two weeks after ordination!!)

I loved the imagery, even if overused in the book, about the line on the ground, but Jesus seeking to bring things to a level higher up than "this side" or "that side" of the line, a level in the space, the sphere, above the rest of it. (pg. 47) I loved Ruth's comment about having to switch between modern and post-modern existence depending on where you are. (pg. 44) I liked McLaren's understanding of the Bible, woven throughout the book, especially his analogy of the math book: "Think of a math book . . . is it valuable because it has the answers in the back? No, it's valuable because by working through it, by doing the problems, by struggling with it, you become a wiser person, a person capable of solving problems and building bridges . . ." (pg. 53) I loved the passage where Neo says that we often act as if the verse from John says "Jesus is in they way" instead of "Jesus is the way." (pg. 65) And I'm with Brian/Neo on the fact that for Jesus, "gospel" or "good news" didn't mean "accept[ing] Christ as your personal savior" but "The Kingdom of God is at hand." (pg. 105-106) For the most part, though, these were things that I thought already, pre-reading.

The challenge, I think, which McLaren addresses somewhat in the last section of the book, in e-mails between Neo and a young pastor, is how to put these ideas into practice. These ideas, these thoughts, this movement - once you say, "but give me an example!" - it's hard to say, "do it like this," without boxing it in and missing the point. But without examples, it's hard to imagine what a "new kind of Christian" community might actually look like. How do you live into it? How can a whole community of people live into it?

Worth a read. Now I can finally get to McLaren's The Secret Message of Jesus, which has been sitting around for a bit...

Comments

Melissa said…
Hi -- I ran across your blog via the Methodist Blogroll!

I really want to read McLaren's A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist, Anabaptist/Anglican, Methodist, Catholic, Green, Incarnational, Depressed-yet-Hopeful, Emergent, Unfinished CHRISTIAN. From what I hear, he really challenges some conventional notions on both sides of the liberal/conservative spectrum. He definitely tilts more towards the post-modern axis, which I think is great because that is where I think the future of our church lies. So if you haven't put that book on your reading list, I recommend it as well.
Sally said…
I am a fan and a non fan of Brian McLaren- I believe he has a a great challenge to the evangelical church... but wonder where Methodism as I understand it comes in. It is good to read his thoughtson inclusivity and as you say the odd mix of the book makes it compelling, he speaks well into many situations and to many who feel oppressed by hard teaching about a singular view of God and I identify with his struggle and spiritual journey.
Enjoy the reading I wouold love to hear more of your thoughts!
McLaren's A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist, Anabaptist/Anglican, Methodist, Catholic, Green, Incarnational, Depressed-yet-Hopeful, Emergent, Unfinished CHRISTIAN. is a GREAT read. I didn't agree with all - but it challenged me.

(I read it as part of my postmodern course for seminary.. although that was my choice and not recommended reading)

wondering how many books it is now Beth. usually you put a count...
Susan Gillespie said…
I enjoyed your comments on A New Kind of Christian - and I wanted to let you know that for most of the more "conservative" (for lack of a better word) Christians I have recommended it to, it was a wholly new set of ideas that put into words some of what they had been feeling. Having studied way-too-much postmodernism in seminary (grin), it was nice for me to be able to recommend a more accessible book for them than, say, something by Sweet. A Generous Orthodoxy is also very good, but quite a bit more disturbing to the uninitiated, I would imagine!
Paul M. Kingery said…
Dear Beth,
I would like to invite you to write a short review of a new Christian ebook called Land of Canaan: Ancient Hope for Future Peace. See it free online at www.landofcanaan.info and let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Paul

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been