Friday, September 02, 2005

ordination: the paperwork

Hey blogging friends! I just came back from a few days of 'spiritual retreat' at Watson Homestead. I spent the time working on my ordination paperwork, as I hope to be ordained this coming June, and my paperwork is due on November 1st - less than two months now! I got a lot done, and I would like to post my responses to the disciplinary questions here on my blog - maybe one a day. I invite you to share your feedback and suggestions.

A couple of words about my papers:
I am always honest and up front with my thoughts and beliefs. I don't put things in there that I don't really believe. Sometimes I'd like to be more blunt and more direct, but I'm not sure what purpose this would serve other than setting myself up for a harder time at interviews!

Our conference asks for responses of about 1/2-1 page each.

Also, these source have shaped my responses - I quote sometimes directly, but these are my general 'bibliography':
Grace and Responsibility - by John Cobb
The New Creation - by Theodore Runyon
Pastor - by William Willimon
God - Christ - Church - by Marjorie Suchocki
and of course, the writings of John Wesley.

I look forward to your feedback...

1 comment:

Willie Deuel said...

Hey, you've listed some of my favorite books there as well! I love Marjorie Hewitt Suchocki, and Cobb's "Grace and Responsibility" is an awesome read too. Dig Marjorie's books on prayer and preaching, "In God's Presence" and "The Whispered Word."

"Responsible Grace" by Randy Maddox is also excellent, as are any Wesley books by Heizenrater.

Sermon for the Tenth Sunday after Pentecost, Year B, "Picnic and a Boat Ride," John 6:1-21 (Proper 12B, Ordinary 17B)

Sermon 7/28/24 John 6:1-21 Picnic and a Boat Ride Our gospel lesson today is a text that’s probably familiar to most of you, at least some...