Friday, September 02, 2005

confession

I've been out of town and out of communication for a couple of days. I haven't seen the news since the initial reports of destruction from Hurricane Katrina. Arriving home today, I've been reading about the looting, the shootings (I just cannot comprehend this), the slow response, etc., the countless people, stranded, homeless, not to mention questions about things like: when and where will children go to school?

My confession: how worried about gas prices I was on the way home today. Granted, there are some who will be seriously affected by gas prices rising, but those who will really feel the jump are not middle-class pastors like me. I feel embarassed. I think I can swing the extra 10 or 20 bucks a week it might cost me to drive, and be thankful I'm not boating around my city, wondering where my children are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I know it's gonna stink to fill up my mini-van this weekend, but at least I have a dry home for my two kids....

Jason D. Moore said...

I have to confess that I've felt the same way. I feel like I complain, internally, about so much and I feel awful that I forget how good I've got it and that my problems are nothing compared to all this.

Sermon for the Tenth Sunday after Pentecost, Year B, "Picnic and a Boat Ride," John 6:1-21 (Proper 12B, Ordinary 17B)

Sermon 7/28/24 John 6:1-21 Picnic and a Boat Ride Our gospel lesson today is a text that’s probably familiar to most of you, at least some...