Skip to main content

Sermon, "Advent Conspiracy: Give More," John 1:1-18

Sermon 12/8/13
John 1:1-18

Advent Conspiracy: Give More


In my premarital counseling sessions, I sometimes use a resource called The Five Languages of Love, by Gary Chapman. Chapman argues that one of the reasons why we struggle in relationships is because we don’t realize that we’re speaking different languages from the people we love, and so we don’t realize that they’re telling us they love us, and they don’t realize that we’re telling them that we love them. We say, “I love you,” in different languages, Chapman insists, and only one of the five languages he describes is based on verbal communication. The languages of love he outlines are Acts of Service, Physical Touch, Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, and Gift Giving. My mom first introduced me to this book, after she’d been introduced to it by her pastor. She figured that between her four kids and herself, each one of us spoke in a different “love language.” And so while Todd, who understands Words of Affirmation best, might have said, “I love you,” to Mom, it would really have meant something powerful if they were accompanied by his willingness to do the dishes! And my brother Tim really appreciates a hug or a back rub. And my older brother wants your time – quality time. Me, my love language is Gift-Giving. Oh, you don’t have to buy me extravagant, expensive things. My favorite gifts are those that simply tell me that someone knows me well, or that someone was thinking about me. I love gifts that tell the story of a relationship, things that remind me of the giver when I see them. Usually, that “love language” that makes us feel most loved is also the language that we speak to others most often. I love giving people gifts, and anticipating giving a gift when I feel like I’ve found just the right thing. Chapman urges us learn each other’s languages, to speak not just in our own language, but in the language we know others need to hear, and to try to hear when others are trying to tell us they love us, even if they aren’t saying it in our primary language. And so, if I speak the language of Gift Giving, I can try to view Words of Affirmation as a gift, or someone’s Quality Time as a Gift. In essence, Chapman encourages us to be translators, so that we learn to speak love, and hear love spoken, in whatever language love is shared.
            This week in our Advent Conspiracy journey, the theme is right up my alley: Give More. That might seem like a conflicting message, since last week we were talking about Spending Less. The authors of the program write, “We know what you're thinking. “Wait, didn't they just say I should spend less, and yet here they are telling me to give more? What gives?” The most powerful, memorable gift you can give to someone else is yourself. And nobody modeled this more than Jesus. So what does this look like for you?” “The best gifts celebrate a relationship.” (1)
            Indeed, God’s best gift to us, the gift of Jesus, represents not only God’s dearest relationship, a parent giving a gift of their own child, but also God’s relationship with us, also claimed as God’s children, God’s beloved, as God becomes God-with-us, God-in-the-flesh, just to get closer to us, just to get through to us, just to love us more fully, in a way we can reach out and touch. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.” This is the incarnation – God-made-flesh. A gift of presence. A gift that is personal. A gift that is costly – in fact, priceless. God speaks loves to us in the gift of Jesus. How do we receive the gift? How do we accept it? Are we getting God’s message?
            As we prepare our hearts to receive the gift of the Incarnation, the gift of God-with-us, the gift of the Christ-child, I’d like us to think about whether we’re hearing the language of love God is speaking to us in the gift of Jesus. Because I think some of our responses to God’s gift suggest we’re not speaking the same language. Sometimes we outright say “no thank you” to the gifts God seeks to give us. Have you ever refused a gift? Every year about this time a bake about a million cookies and send packages to friends from high school, college, seminary, and so on. One year, after I sent out some emails to get updated addresses, one of my friends responded saying that she didn’t really want any cookies. They would go to waste. I have to admit – I was crushed! I’ve moved on, but I’ve never forgotten that I offered her the gift that represented much more than showing off my baking skills, and she said, “No thank you.” Have you ever refused God’s gifts to you?  
            Sometimes we receive a gift from God but we don’t open it or don’t use it. Last week we talked about Black Friday – the busiest shopping day of the year. But another very busy shopping day is – the day after Christmas. That’s the day when everyone goes to the store to return gifts they’ve received the day before! Of course, sometimes sizes are wrong or things don’t work or duplicates were purchased. Perhaps we’ve all experienced receiving a gift we really didn’t want. A shirt that just isn’t your style. A gift card to a restaurant you don’t really like. But maybe we’ve also experienced the painful feeling of realizing you’ve given a gift that was unwanted. A gift you give and never see again! Sometimes this giving mishaps take place because the giver and receiver don’t really know each other so well, don’t have a clear picture of each other. Maybe you’re giving to someone you only know through work or school or in one setting. But God – God knows us inside out. God can’t give us a gift that doesn’t suit us. And God gives out of God’s own self the gift we have in Christ. A gift marked with our own name. This is not a gift to put on a shelf! This is not a gift to return to the store! The gifts God gives are meant to be used and opened.  
Our biggest misunderstanding of God’s gift to us is when we try to put a price tag on something that God offers to us freely. Any of you watch The Big Bang Theory? Eccentric physicist Sheldon Cooper hates exchanging gifts with people. Watch this quick clip: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9r0HW9X2Nc) Of course, we laugh at Sheldon’s behavior. He’s ridiculous, of course. But don’t we do just this with God? Don’t we turn God’s gift into an obligation, a favor, something we’ve bought, something we owe God for? If a gift comes with strings attached it is not a gift. And when we try to attach strings to God’s gift of Jesus Christ, to God’s gift of love, to God’s gift of grace, we’re turning God’s offering of love into an exchange of goods for a price. And that’s no gift at all. Costly but free. God offers us a gift. Let’s stop trying to figure out the rules, the strings, the obligations, the fine print.  
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.” Thanks be to God for the gifts we have received. Let’s learn to speak this language of love, and give more, even our very selves, to God and one another. Amen.


(1) http://www.adventconspiracy.org/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been