Skip to main content

Paying Attention

I've been reading on various blogs about what different pastors/seminarian/theology-types are doing for Lent - giving something up, some even abstaining from the internet or blogging for Lent (eek - brave souls)... I don't usually give something up for Lent. Sometimes I try, but I rarely keep at it through the whole season, and more often than not, I just don't give something up at all. I'm not sure quite what my plan will be this year, but the time is fast approaching!

I do feel a bit more prepared for Lent this year - some of my clergy colleagues and I - other young women in my conference who are pastors - have been getting together to plan worship for Advent and now Lent. We talk over ideas and themes and texts together, and I've found it extremely helpful. Advent and Lent have ways of sneaking up on me, but this time around, I actually have at least a general plan to take me from Ash Wednesday to Easter.

Still, though, one of the hard things about being a pastor is that you never get to fully immerse yourself in the season you are actually in - at least, this is a struggle I have. By the time Lent is actually here, my mind is already halfway into the post-Easter season, thinking about April and May and June. I find it hard to be fully present in the time we're in. And when I'm worrying about the details of each service, I find it hard to also have a sense that I am also a worship participant. Of course, I find ways to nurture my spirit on my own, but I do miss being part of a corporate worshipping body in non-pastor ways!

One thing we do at St. Paul's that I have really come to cherish is our weekly Communion and Soup Supper Service. Each Wednesday, we meet for dinner - we bring cans of soup - one for the food pantry, and one to eat, along with different breads. We start out with a short communion service. Last year we focused on learning about communion - celebrating different ways, learning what each part of the liturgy means. This year, we will focus on prayer and ways that we pray. We usually have 15-20 people for this service, and we meet in our small chapel, and I enjoy the quiet, intimate, reflective service. I'm still leading, but the atmosphere also allows me to feel like I'm participating too.

What are you doing to pay attention to the season this Lent? Are you giving something up? If you are a worship leader, how do you participate while you are leading?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beth,
First of all, I really enjoy your blog. It is always one of the first "MethoBlogs" that I read.

About Lent, I emphasize to my folks the idea of taking up something for Lent as opposed to giving something up. Commit to a Bible Study, or to some kind of service-oriented outreach, or to regular prayer. Things that can have some staying power after Lent. Last year, my Ash Wednesday theme was "giving up giving stuff up for Lent". I for one don't see the long term spiritual benefit from the temporary cessation of something that you're going to start right back up with after Easter. makes more sense to me to practice a spiritual discipline that you might actually continue.

I hope you all have a great Ash Wednesday service. Stay warm.
DogBlogger said…
Going along with what Brian said about long-term spiritual benefit, I've decided to be more dedicated about regular Bible reading, using a hybrid of the SOAPY method for the reflection part and another pattern for choosing the readings.
It's certainly more substantial than being a temporary vegetarian, which is what my husband and I have done the last couple of years.
Anonymous said…
I have given up sleep for lent.

One of our plants is in a planned refueling outage that began on Tuesday. I am working 7-12's on nightshift.
Christopher said…
I am trying to eat my daily recommended total of fruits and vegetables (technically 40 servings/week). This will force me away from those Big Bacon Classics I love. My churches are having weekly prayer services...simple but valuable I hope.
Matt Akins said…
I gave up coffee (both decaf and regular), tea, candy, and pastries.

I am participating in two sessions of the same Lent study (on different days, with different small groups from my church)
TN Rambler said…
How do I participate in worship while leading? I'm still struggling with that some 8 months into my first appointment as a local pastor. I guess that I feel that I'm "into worship" the most during the pastoral prayer (as long as I don't think about whether I'm going to screw up the Lord's Prayer:). The rest of the time is spent with one eye on what I'm doing now and the other on what I will be doing in a few minutes...and hoping that I won't be permanently cross-eyed as a result.

During Lent, I am participating with my congregation in working through Sanctuary for Lent 2007 together as a devotional resource. We're coming together in a couple of groups during the week to discuss what we've gleaned from the week's readings and to hold each other accountable in the spiritual practices that we are taking up for lent this year. I agree with brian that I like the idea of "taking up" better than "giving up".
John said…
I have given up sleep for lent.

Hey, you can only give up that which you get regularly anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been