Skip to main content

General Conference and the Use of Technology

Sorry for the lack of posting - I've had a busy week. As I mentioned, I had a Book of Resolutions Task Force meeting this past week, in conjunction with the Interagency Legislative Task Force Meeting. The Interagency thing is where staff/members of different boards and agencies get together to talk about legislation they will be submitting to General Conference 2008. The idea is that agencies will be able to collaborate on legislation and avoid submitting similar/overlapping petitions or avoid assigning work to another agency without informing them beforehand.

During our conversation together, the issue of technology and General Conference came up. Someone asked about the rules for using things like PDAs, cell phones, and laptops during GC, especially for delegates. Currently, there are no rules in place. The conversation quickly turned to all the 'bad' ways technology might be used at GC, and a suggestion that device-use be restricted for delegates, and signals jammed onsite.

At this point, I had to speak up. I think the conversation was showing some fundamental differences in the way people make use of technology. I immediately thought of Leonard Sweet's language of 'native' and 'immigrant' when it comes to digital technology. I don't always agree with Sweet's ideas (he was a professor of mine at Drew) but I think he puts this in a helpful way to think about. Natives don't just 'use' technology - it is a fully integrated part of life, a way of life. But 'immigrants' may use technology, but more as an external tool that is employed to facilitate work. To me, attempting to limit use of technology at GC would be limiting a huge part of how people expect to be able to live, interact, and carryout work and relationships during GC. I think some of the folks as the meeting only thought of ways that technology could distract from the 'real work' to be done, but I see exciting possibilities for how it can actually positively and radically impact the work of the church.
I'm not sure I convinced everyone, but there were some who were certainly on the same page as me. To illustrate the point perfectly, one member received a text message while we were talking that had important information for our meeting. God moves in mysterious and timely ways, right?

What do you think? How can/might/will/should/shouldn't technologies be used at General Conference?
**Update: Jay mentions in comments that some rules are already in place. I'm surprised no one at the meeting knew about these. I understand the concerns Jay mentions - really, I do. But how long will these rules hold up against a changing world? That's another issue...

Comments

Wes Magruder said…
Wow, isn't the burden of proof on GC to tell us exactly how the "use of technology" would be a negative thing? Funny, but I can only think of the positive, maybe because it's a fully-integrated part of my own life (even though I live and work in West Africa!). Seriously, besides the inconvenience of having cell phones ring at inappropriate times, what are they worried about? Maybe you can shed light on how the discussion actually went ...?
i'd agree with wes. cell phones can be silenced (not even the vibrate counts as those can be noisy). but to try and put control factors on how people interact is a fear based control response
Anonymous said…
Beth, whoever said that there were no rules about electronic technology at General Conference was incorrect. There have been rules in place at the last several General Conferences that forbid walkie talkie or cell phone use within the bar of the conference. As for computer usage, there was no wifi coverage within the bar of the conference. The goal is to prevent coordinating politicking on the floor of the conference itself. The concern is that a single entity could "direct" delegates on how to vote on any given issue on a real-time basis, so that the delegates won't even have to go through the effort of reading the legislation and having some sense of what's happening. That isn't to say that coordination doesn't happen, but it requires a bit more work.
Anonymous said…
For the past couple of years, the IA Conference has been making pre-conference materials available either on CD or downloadable. It's a great idea, saves the Conference quite a bit of money and also a few trees along the way. However, since there are no electrical outlets within the bar of the Conference, the materials still have to be printed off. (At least my laptop's battery won't make it through 3-4 hours of legislation.) Sort of defeats the purpose if you ask me, other than the fact local churches & their delegates have to pay for the paper.

Optimally, the GC should offer electrical power and WIFI. And I believe someday it will. "Natives" will demand it. But since the Church usually runs 10-15 years behind the times technologically, don't expect it anytime soon.
Anonymous said…
One other thing that John B's comments reminded me. The nature of the convention center business is that you pay for every electrical drop provided. While it is certainly possible for the General Conference to provide electrical (and they have tried to provide some along the way), be prepared for the budget to increase by several thousand dollars. Again, it may be worth it, but since so many people have complained about the size of the budget, just be aware that adding any technical complexity adds to the budget.
John Meunier said…
I suppose I must be more of an immigrant. I have a slow modem connection and use the Internet much more as a tool than an integrated part of my life. I think. I'm not really clear on the differences.

I know this is terribly naive of me, but what is the argument in favor of WIFI and all these other things?

What communication from outside the meeting space is necessary to do the work of a conference delegate?

Isn't the conference supposed to be a place where the holy spirit guides the actions of the assembled members? Does God need WIFI to do that?

I apologize for these foolish questions. But I do not see the argument - other than we really like our high-tech toys. I like my TV set, but I don't haul it along to Annual Conference.
Anonymous said…
I'm too old to be a native. I don't play video games or text message. However, I think I have some understanding of natives since I raised a couple.

Text messaging, instant messaging are to natives what pages have been to generations past. I will admit that on more than one occasion I've used a page to make dinner arrangements with a friend at AC. Think how many steps it would save all the pages if everyone who used them as personal couriers TM'd or IM'd their friends.
John Wesley said…
Dear and Gentle Reader,

I would like to invite you to visit my humbly journal, as I start my tenure upon this continent. I have been elucidated by your musings and wish to make your most courteous acquaintance whist in the Americas.

I am most curious about the manner in which clergy conduct themselves in the colonies, as I am a newly arrived pastor and do not wish to offend the faithful and the savages. So prithee hense to my journal and let us hold each other accountable in our mutual love of Christ.

I remain God's most humble servant,

John Wesley

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been