Skip to main content

Review: The Pursuit of Happyness

Last week, I went to see The Pursuit of Happyness. I've been meaning to write a review, but just couldn't get it together. Heads up: ***If you don't want to know anything about the plot, please don't read this post. I'll try not to get to specific, but I can't write much of what I want without some details.***

First, foremost - Will Smith is absolutely superb. He is really an excellent actor. Don't underestimate him because of his Fresh Prince days, or if you don't go for light movie like Hitch or I, Robot. He is a gifted actor. I first saw him in a serious role when I had to watch Six Degrees of Separation for a class in college (a movie that is a must-see in my mind). Smith communicates so clearly every emotion and feeling - by the climax of the film tears were streaming down my face - and I really hate to cry at movies.

Smith has a pretty uniquely solid track record at the box office - most of his films open in first place, and he is one of those rare actors that seems to appear across the board to audiences - men, women, young, old, black, white. Did you know that Will Smith has the highest opening weekend average of any actor? I think he must feel pretty awesome about how consistently well-received he is, about how well-liked he is, because actors of color certainly still have a long battle before they are as frequently cast, well-paid, universally received, etc., as white actors. Smith seems to be a barrier-breaker.

Other stand-outs in the film are Thandie Newton, as Smith's wife - I've only seen her in a couple of things, and not been very impressed - but she seemed to really live into this character. And of course, Jaden Smith, Will Smith's son, was adorable, and it was fun to watch real-life father and son interact on screen.

About the movie itself, the story. The film is based on the real life story of Chris Gardner, a man who struggled to raise his son and keep it together financially while trying to secure a lucrative (and stable) job as a stock broker. The story is very moving at points - the hardships, the struggles of someone trying to make ends meet - this part of the film was very realistic. You could just feel the hopelessness of the situation, and the impossibility of ever getting ahead when one little financial crisis would turn into a huge crisis. If you've ever really had financial trouble, really had trouble, you know how true some of these scenarios are - how miscalculating your budget by $5 or $10 can totally screw you up for weeks afterward. I thought this message communicated pretty clearly. Also, pay special attention to Gardner's monologue about the title - the pursuit of happiness. He ponders, takes note that Jefferson never said that happiness was a right, just pursuing happiness, as if knowing that we have trouble ever actually getting to a state of happiness. Is happiness something we can only chase after?

More problematic for me was where the story ultimately goes. I'm afraid the film might communicate a message of "if you just try hard enough, you can be rich instead of poor" message. Gardner's story surely is inspiring, but it is also a 1 in a million story. Gardner works and works and works to provide for his family, but he doesn't just end up a stable, caring parent, he ends up a millionaire. Is that the ultimate goal in our pursuit of happiness?

You can read an article about the real life Chris Gardner here. I was glad to learn that he does pay quite a bit of attention still to helping those who are where he once was.

Still, problems aside, the film is worth seeing just to see Will Smith.

Comments

DogBlogger said…
Hey Beth -- Did you notice that the church in the movie was a UMC -- Glide Memorial? That's a true-to-life plot point. You can read the United Methodist Reporter story on it here.

Looking forward to meeting you in Myrtle Beach!
Dan Morehead said…
Cool. I had wondered about the film.
Jody Leavell said…
I saw it over the break myself, and I agree with the realistic portrayals. My empathy and sympathy were in full force and I have been in his position before, with the exception of having the child to care for. I am grateful today that there are so many opportunities to help those struggling, in part because of ministries supported by the UMC and many other denominations. My inspiration leaving the movie was to make sure that I find more time and energy to give to the causes I am already working for that directly assist the homeless, especially those with children.

I consider myself to be just as big a winner as Mr. Gardner, but I'm no millionaire. What I share with him is the willingness to value myself, my family, and society, even when hardships pressed against me. Success was the restoration of body, mind, and soul that only God could do for me. The results were an improved ability to function in society, be self supporting gradually, and to continually cooperate with God's will for me each day. I now have a net gain in terms of providing for myself and others. For me there isn't much money left to give to those who need it, nor a lot of time, but I give of both what I can and share the story, just as Mr. Gardner has.

Mr. Gardner made the bone density scanners a central part of his story for a good reason. It was his shortcomings that contributed to his downfall. Symbolically the lugging of the heavy scanners and his attachment and obsession with them became the antagonist to his pursuit of happiness, ultimately costing him his marriage and home. His choice to pursue the broker position was the more mature choice made after the get rich quick scheme that backfired on him. Had he made that choice earlier in his life it might not have required the same degree of sacrifice, but he recognized the need to sacrifice any way.

Mr. Gardner's dawning awareness of the great gift of his intellect is telling, too. His estranged wife couldn't see the value of his career choice after having blundered their early savings on the bone density scanners. Hence, her leaving had nothing to do with his son or him - it was all about her. His suffering and sacrifice from that point forward was about embracing the gift God gave him, a willingness to be a better steward of that gift and so many more. Failure to appreciate the unique value God has given each of us is often what leads to our failures and desperation. His story is that of a prodigal son.

Perhaps his millionaire status is what got the attention of Hollywood to tell this story, but I doubt Mr. Gardner would propagate a simplistic moral that hard work and self-determination can make the poorest soul a millionaire. The extra money was icing on the cake in the pursuit of happiness, but happiness lay within the struggle itself. A better moral to learn: be a good steward of the person God made one to be and out of that abundance share his love with others. True happiness is built up that way, knowing that we played well with others and shared in the abundance God alone gives. When we do that any hardship is more easily endured.
Teri said…
I too really liked this movie. I actually thought for a moment that there was a mild possibility (and it may have been a more effective message, ultimately) that in the end he wouldn't get the job--that he would pursue but not actually own happiness.

The realism of the line at Glide and the difficulty of having a job, being homeless, and trying to turn life around and keep a family together....powerful. It was a very well done movie. I hope people see the reality in the movie and not just the happy ending.

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been