Skip to main content

Review: Talking about Homosexuality

For book #5 in my 52-books-resolution, (yes, I know I'm a month behind) I just finished Holy Conversations: Talking About Homosexuality - a congregational resource by Karen P. Oliveto, Kelly D. Turney, and Traci C. West. I picked the book up at my seminary during alumni lectures back in October, drawn to it particularly because Traci West was my favorite professor in seminary, and because the book with a quick flip-through appeared to be practical and hands-on. The book is apparently first in a series of books that will tackle tough issues, focusing on the Wesleyan Quadrilateral as a study model.

The book gives plans for a six week study on homosexuality in local church congregations, complete with teaching plans, activities, assignments, etc. I like the model a lot - a variety of kinds of exercises, appealing to different learning styles, the Wesleyan quadrilateral as an entry point to examining a controversial issue, etc. I think the model is good and would be usable for many different studies - easily adaptable to other topics of debate.

I doubt, though, that I would ever use this resource in my congregation without highly adapting it first. Why? I think it doesn't take in to account where people are beginning - not a realistic sense of what a good starting point might be. The authors clearly support the full inclusion of LGBT persons in the community and church, as I do. But I know that my congregants do not all feel this way, and, more importantly, many have never talked at all about why/how they feel/believe what they do. I feel like this might be a good resource for later on in the discussion, or for a church that expected most people to lean in a more embracing direction already, but not a first-time-trying-to-talk-about-sex study.

Also, I'll admit - the random sentences in Spanish seemed out of place to me. The authors make a point of reminding us that we are a diverse people and that we need to remember and recognize our diversity - I agree. But random sentences in Spanish seem out of place to me - unless the book is published in English/Spanish side-by-side, which might be a good idea - what's the point?

I'll recommend the book for the teaching style set forth - and for the optimism that a study could start here in an everyday congregation. If you've used this resource in your congregation, I'd love to hear about it. But I would want to find an easier starting point before diving into these conversations in my own setting. Maybe that's just my fear speaking, but I think it would be more authentic to my community too.

Comments

John said…
So are you going to use this book to lead a class in your congregation?
Beth Quick said…
Not yet, anyway. And probably never as written. Right now, my studies at church have all been basic bible studies. The lack of basic biblical knowledge here has been overwhelming too me. I may be liberal, but I know my bible and grew up in a church where i learned about it and knew a lot more in elementary school than many of my adults do here. So that's primary - basic bible skills. Eventually, I hope to look at issues that are important - though no one here has been clamoring for a homosexuality study. We've done some "UM" studies - social principles, UM101 - again, more basic education.
Andy B. said…
I agree that basic Biblical understanding is a good starting point for this conversation. I am amazed sometimes by what people think the Bible says but doesn't!
- AB
Questing Parson said…
Your assessment of your congregation is so close to those I have about my church. Since I've come here we have been fortunate that some gay folks have been accepted at worship. But I still know an open proposal of becomeing an intentionally diverse congregation would be met with hostility.

My prayer is those who are coming by their presence and love will bring about a slow commitment to being inclusive.

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been