Skip to main content

Reporting Back: Mississippi

I've been mostly absent blogging this week - I'm still trying to catch up, after returning from my trip to Mississippi last week, and beginning Lent this week. But I wanted to write something about my week in Mississippi - it's hard to process, but important to share, I think. So here are some random thoughts:

* People who used to live in reasonably-sized homes are now living in campers (this is what the FEMA trailers are.) I could do this for a week, or even maybe a month. But sixth months? I cannot imagine.

*Our team was divided into two groups - half of us worked on rebuilding homes that had been cleaned out already - these were our skilled workers, who could work on electricity and plumbing and finishing and other things I most definitely cannot do. The rest of us were on clean-up/sanitizing crews, which were really demolition crews. Anywhere two feet above the water level and below in houses had to be torn out to the studs. The black mold growing was everywhere. One house we worked on had to be torn out except the ceiling. These houses have not been touched since late August.

*One women, whose home was extremely damaged by the hurricane, but whose home is now in the rebuild stage, commented on how hard it was to have people come in to clean-up and sanitize. She knew they were there helping, but as they threw away her broken and destroyed possessions, she would follow behind and pick things up, wanting to save broken lamps, etc., the only things she had to hold onto. She urged volunteer workers to have compassion for such behavior, for trying to hold on to any piece of life-before possible.

*There was noticeable difference in how the hurricane impacted/continues to impact people from different socio-economic backgrounds. Better-built houses obviously fared better - other homes were already weak before sitting in water. Those with resources can rebuild more quickly, and others have to wait longer for help to come. The long term effects of this disparity in the overall recovery and rebuilding of the communities will be interesting to watch unfold, important.

*If you have a week, volunteer! I definitely suggest working with CORE - Christians Organized for Relief Efforts on the grounds of St. Paul UMC in Ocean Springs. They have tents to stay on, and serve three meals a day, at a cost of $60 for your stay (typically a week) - and this is not required, but suggested for those who are able. They have tools, a shower truck (really nice!), work advisors, devotional time, etc. I found the leadership to be more theologically conservative than I am, but that, I thought, was hardly at issue for our purposes. I wouldn't want to live in the tents for long, but it was certainly comfortable for a week. And they have a wireless network - what more could one want? Plus, St. Paul has its doors open from 6am to 10pm for workers to get inside and relax. Their hospitality to the base camp is truly amazing.

Comments

I will be going to Jackson MS in a few weeks as part of a HFH building blitz. Any suggestions on anything to bring that you might have overlooked?
Beth Quick said…
Bring Skin So Soft for bugspray, keeps away the gnats. Everyone swears by it. Seriously!

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been