Skip to main content

martin luther king jr. day

Tomorrow we have a national holiday celebrating the life and work of Martin Luther King Jr. I just finished reading Bishop Woodie White's annual letter to Martin, here. This year it is a letter filled with pain and grief, at the loss of Rosa Parks, and the memories her loss stirs up.

In my congregation this year, in conjunction with Human Relations Sunday, we celebrated in our Saturday worship service the work of Dr. King. I read excerpts from his "I have a dream" speech, and a favorite of mine, the "Letter from Birmingham Jail."

In the "Letter from Birmingham Jail," addressed particularly to Martin's fellow clergy, he addresses many criticisms of the movement, and takes to task particularly the church and its leadership.

Excerpts:
On the timing and tactics used - "One of the basic points in your statement is that the action that I and my associates have taken in Birmingham is untimely. Some have asked: "Why didn't you give the new city administration time to act?" . . . My friends, I must say to you that we have not made a single gain civil rights without determined legal and nonviolent pressure. Lamentably, it is an historical fact that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily . . . We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct-action campaign that was "well timed" in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant 'Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that "justice too long delayed is justice denied."

On being called an extremist - "But though I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an extremist, as I continued to think about the matter I gradually gained a measure of satisfaction from the label. Was not Jesus an extremist for love: "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." Was not Amos an extremist for justice: "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream." Was not Paul an extremist for the Christian gospel: "I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." Was not Martin Luther an extremist: "Here I stand; I cannot do otherwise, so help me God." And John Bunyan: "I will stay in jail to the end of my days before I make a butchery of my conscience." And Abraham Lincoln: "This nation cannot survive half slave and half free." And Thomas Jefferson: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that an men are created equal ..." So the question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we viii be. We we be extremists for hate or for love? Will we be extremist for the preservation of injustice or for the extension of justice? In that dramatic scene on Calvary's hill three men were crucified. We must never forget that all three were crucified for the same crime---the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for immorality, and thus fell below their environment. The other, Jeans Christ, was an extremist for love, truth and goodness, and thereby rose above his environment. Perhaps the South, the nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists. "

On the response of the churches - "I have heard numerous southern religious leaders admonish their worshipers to comply with a desegregation decision because it is the law, but I have longed to hear white ministers declare: "Follow this decree because integration is morally right and because the Negro is your brother." In the midst of blatant injustices inflicted upon the Negro, I have watched white churchmen stand on the sideline and mouth pious irrelevancies and sanctimonious trivialities. In the midst of a mighty struggle to rid our nation of racial and economic injustice, I have heard many ministers say: "Those are social issues, with which the gospel has no real concern." And I have watched many churches commit themselves to a completely other worldly religion which makes a strange, on Biblical distinction between body and soul, between the sacred and the secular . . . So often the contemporary church is a weak, ineffectual voice with an uncertain sound. So often it is an archdefender of the status quo. Par from being disturbed by the presence of the church, the power structure of the average community is consoled by the church's silent and often even vocal sanction of things as they are.
. . . But the judgment of God is upon the church as never before. If today's church does not recapture the sacrificial spirit of the early church, it will lose its authenticity, forfeit the loyalty of millions, and be dismissed as an irrelevant social club with no meaning for the twentieth century. Every day I meet young people whose disappointment with the church has turned into outright disgust. Perhaps I have once again been too optimistic. Is organized religion too inextricably bound to the status quo to save our nation and the world?"
(emphasis mine)

MLK was certainly human. If you've read good biographies of his life, you will know that Martin was a man and not a saint. To me, that is more compelling a reason to admire him and be challenged by him. If we could write MLK off as a saint, then we could say we were not able to act as he acted. But since he was a person - a sinner like the rest of us - we have no excuse for not working as hard as he did for justice.

Today, reading the stories of call in the lectionary, I was reminded that God rarely in the scriptures called someone because of their goodness. But our work is blessed because we respond to God's call. There's hope in remembering that, and a challenge. Our excuses are taken away.

Happy Birthday, MLK!

Comments

Robin Edgar said…
Martin Luther King Jr. aka MLK would have been invited to observe World Day of Conscience on March 29th, 2006. . .

http://worlddayofconscience.blogspot.com

You and everyone else in this troubled world is invited to observe World Day of conscience in your own special way.

What would MLK do?
Anonymous said…
Beth,

This was a very good post. I especially liked Dr. King's comments on the church.

It makes one stop and think. I was born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee. I was just over a year old when Dr. King was assassinated, but for years I was raised around and listened to my fellow Southerners on the issues of race relations and "what should really be done". I have lived in four southern states; Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. When I was a teen and young adult, I attended chruch every Sunday, but I was, simply put, a racist that pretended to be a Christian. I had nothing to do with non-whites. I didn't go out my way to understand their issues, their sub-culture, I didn't think they were discriminated against, I thought of them as troublemakers. All while I attended church each Sunday.

What changed my heart and my mind was my faith in Christ and my Christian faith. As I began to seriously study the Bible, to pray, to contemplate on what it means to be a Christian, I began to realize that it is completely impossible to be one and be a bigot at the same time. It is impossible to dislike someone simply because they were born different than me. Christ changed my heart and my mind.

I now often wonder to myself how my forefathers in the South could have been Christians and also been slaveholders or segregationalists at the same time. What was the church of that day thinking? I began to realize that God could just as easily put my soul in the body of someone else and my life would be drastically changed.

You final thought is very good as well, the mystery and wonder of the Church is that God and Christ trust the lifting of the fallen to the fallen. There is no perfect Christian. There is no perfect priest or pastor. We are all sinners, even our saints are sinners. There are captains of tens and captains of thousands and God chooses them all. Usually he chooses the persons who the world would least likely have, that is what makes the Universal Church so wonderful to me.

Great post.
Andy B. said…
Beth,
Sam Brownback (R-KS) wrote a column in the paper yesterday as an attempt at a tribute to MLK. I blogged about it yesterday. It was ironic, to say the least.
Andy B.

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been