Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Poem and Essays

My new favorite poem. Also included in Will Willimon's Pastor book which I wrote about yesterday.

Batter my heart, three-personed God; for You
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurped town, to another due,
Labor to admit You, but O, to no end;
Reason, Your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captivated, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love You and would be loved fain,
But I am betrothed unto Your enemy.
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again;
Take me to You, imprison me, for I,
Except You entrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except You ravish me.

John Donne, "Holy Sonnet 14"

- Still trying to find an excuse to use it in worship or something.

Also, check out this link. There you'll find essays written by Drew faculty members in preparation for General Conference 2004. I haven't read them all yet, but I do particularly recommend the one from my favorite professor, Dr. Traci West. Clear and articulate as always.

No comments:

Sermon for the Tenth Sunday after Pentecost, Year B, "Picnic and a Boat Ride," John 6:1-21 (Proper 12B, Ordinary 17B)

Sermon 7/28/24 John 6:1-21 Picnic and a Boat Ride Our gospel lesson today is a text that’s probably familiar to most of you, at least some...