Skip to main content

Reflections: Ecumenical Advocacy Days, Part 1

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been in DC this weekend at the Ecumenical Advocacy Days. Advocacy Days"is a movement of the ecumenical Christian community, and its recognized partners and allies, grounded in biblical witness and our shared traditions of justice, peace and the integrity of creation. Our goal, through worship, theological reflection and opportunities for learning and witness, is to strengthen our Christian voice and to mobilize for advocacy on a wide variety of U.S. domestic and international policy issues." (from the website.) This year the theme was "... and How are the Children?", so all of our work looked at how critical issues for people of faith and people of politics impact children. Attendees get to choose a 'track' to focus on for the weekend, and I chose the Eco-Justice track, as environmental justice is a particular passion of mine.

After an unintentionally scenic last half-hour of the drive into DC, with almost driving through the Pentagon's parking lot, and repeatedly ending up in Ladybird Johnson Memorial Grove, my colleague and I finally made it to the hotel in time for opening worship. Worship began with some excellent music - Jazz musicians Rick Whitehead (jazz guitarist), Lou Hinds (bassist), and Sanelma Sutton (pianist) were great, contemplative, and energizing. They also accompanied us on jazzy versions of traditional hymns. We the congregation weren't so good at keeping up, but it was fun!

The preacher at opening worship was Rev. Dr. Clifton Kirkpatrick, who is the "Stated Clerk" of the General Assembly PCUSA. I had no idea other denominations had weirder titles than we United Methodists do. He said his job is to interpret their constitution, promote unity, and preserve records. Eesh- quite a task! Kirkpatrick talked about concern with churches that are "unconcerned and unengaged," concern with policies that threaten to make poverty permanent. He spoke about children's health insurance, global warming, peace and sustainability, and authentic human development as priorities for our Advocacy Days. I didn't take many notes, but I thought he was a good preacher and started us in the right direction.

Next day: tracks begin. Our first speaker was Dr. Larry Rasmussen, professor of social ethics at Columbia Theological. He referred to a comic strip which contained the phrase "insurmountable opportunities," and talked about that as the place we are in for eco-justice. He gave a great theological framework for where we are and where we want to be. He talked about how God has been made separate from nature, emphasizing transcendence over immanence, about how humanity has been separated from nature, emphasizing humans in God's image, but not the rest of creation. He talked about redemption being 'wrested' from creation, with creation left as just a backdrop, and churches reflecting rather than correction pervasive dualistic thinking and theology.

Instead, we want to be (said Rasmussen) an "earth-honoring faith." He talked about radical incarnation, bodiliness, all creation, humans as adam from adamah - 'earthlings', asceticism - voluntary simplicity, sacramentalism - the standing miracle of life, mysticism - "we can touch with our hearts the living heart of the world," prophetic liberative religious tradition, and that we are "all born to belonging. All that exists coexists."

Rev. Janet Parker was the responder. She said so often we see ourselves as "God's regent, God's stand-in, or simply god." Instead, she said, we need teacher - from indigenous cultures that are earth-honoring, and from the earth itself, and the rest of creation. We need a sense of place, and a sense of community.

OK - that's enough for one post! One more set of reflections to come.

Comments

Paul said…
I really think that the ecumenical and interfaith movements could take off if we would emphasize the experiential elements over the doctrinal in our conversations with others.

Ha! Glad to see someone else directionally challenged - and in exactly the same spot!

After living in Arlington a couple years I needed to pick something up at the "Pentagon City Mall." I knew it wasn't far from my apartment but didn't know how close my apartment was to the actual Pentagon.

I kept following pentagon signs - I thought to the mall. I end up in this huge parking lot pondering the appearance of the building in front of me - this was pre 9/11 so no barricades, just an oddly configured building.

"Hmm..." I'm sitting there in my car, idling, when a guy in a suit walks by my window carrying a briefcase. Didn't look much like a shopper, I thought...

"Excuse me... is this the - Pentagon?"

He just gave a quick nod and kept walking.
Andy B. said…
I was the choir director in a Presbyterian church for five years, and I had the same reaction to the titles. Don't you just love church-ese?
Beth Quick said…
Paul - I think that was the problem with my directions ;) They didn't reflect a post-9/11 change in the traffic flow. At least that's what I'm going to blame it on :)

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been