Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Post Easter

Transitioning out of a season that has taken so much time and preparation is difficult, both for the pastor and for the congregation, I think.
As hard as it is to be with Jesus on the journey to the cross, as hard as it is to watch or take part in the denial, the betrayal, the trial, the supper, the beatings, the crucifixion - we can do that part, we can manage it.
And we might even be able to get through the joy of Easter Sunday itself, to really experience the Resurrection.
But the season of Easter lasts 50 days! 50 days . . . We say we are "Easter People." Well, what the heck does that mean? How do we do that?
I don't know about your churches, but after a record Easter attendance, church on the 18th was pretty empty. Everyone seemed tired out - enough God, enough challenges, enough resurrection. It's discouraging to me - did they not get it after all? Or, perhaps more accurately, they got exactly what it all means and found it too difficult!
I don't exempt myself. I learned this year why most pastors vacation right after Easter. I've been exhausted! I just mostly want to sleep all day. So it is a struggle to be in this Easter season. Maybe that's right where we should be . . .

No comments:

Sermon for the Tenth Sunday after Pentecost, Year B, "Picnic and a Boat Ride," John 6:1-21 (Proper 12B, Ordinary 17B)

Sermon 7/28/24 John 6:1-21 Picnic and a Boat Ride Our gospel lesson today is a text that’s probably familiar to most of you, at least some...