Skip to main content

Lectionary Notes for Twenty-fifth Sunday after Pentecost (Proper 27, Ordinary 32, Year C)

Readings for 25th Sunday after Pentecost, 11/10/13:
Haggai 1:15b-2:9, Psalm 145:1-5, 17-21, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-5, 13-17, Luke 20:27-38


Haggai 1:15b-2:9:
  • I just have to say: Zerubbabel. What a name! It means 'the seed of Babylon.'
  • "take courage . . . for I am with you." These are words of comfort from God. Take courage! God is with you, even when things look - terrible! There is hope. There is God.
  • This scene of devastation and God's promising and rebuilding - I found it very reminiscent of the flood narrative, Noah, and God's promise through the rainbow.

Psalm 145:1-5, 17-21:
  • This psalm illustrates the characteristics of God - God saves those who cry out, God is "unsearchable," etc. Of course, there is also an obligatory verse about God destroying enemies...
  • "one generation shall laud your works to another" - the passing down of the story of God. How have you learned your faith stories? Through Bible school? From your parents? How did you learn the things about your faith that are important for you today?

2 Thessalonians 2:1-5, 13-17:
  • The author says, "hold on folks, it is not the end times yet." I wish somebody would make that announcement to some people today! I'm sure hardly anyone could fail to notice such things as the Left Behind series that are so popular today, or all of the Armageddon-esque movies that have been out in the past few years. Why are we so end-obsessed?
  • "Do you not remember that I told you these things while I was still with you? . . . So then . . . stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us." Sometimes, progressive/liberal Christians can react to tradition as if it is a dirty word! And indeed, with pain that calling on 'tradition' has caused, there's reason for caution. But sometimes, 'tradition' can help keep us steady and centered. We just have to be careful and discerning about what is central to us, what is important enough to hold on to.

Luke 20:27-38:
  • The Greek word for "like angels" is isaggeloi, and this is the only place this word occurs in the Bible or anywhere, much as I can figure from my brief research. I mention it because it struck me, this word, as odd coming from Jesus. Aggelos is a word best translated as messengers. The Bible often specifies "messengers of God" which is where our idea of angels develops, I think. But what does Jesus mean by saying this isaggeloi? I'm not sure!
  • The Sadducees, as Luke tells us, don't believe in a resurrection. So why ask Jesus such a question? They are trying to make him look dumb, and silly, by showing how impossible this "rising up" is. Instead, they look a bit silly, when Jesus points out that outside of the bounds and constructs of our world, the rules we've set up, like Levirate marriage, won't exactly apply anymore...
  • For me, the importance of this passage is not so much as a teaching about the afterlife: I think the afterlife is something hard to teach about, too strange for us to worry about. We can think about the afterlife in the afterlife, whatever God has planned for us! For me, the benefit is in showing the difference between the rules we have set up for ourselves that don't have meaning, and the thing that matter: we are children of God, not God of the dead, but God of the living, and to God, life is everywhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for First Sunday in Lent, Year B, "Jesus in the Wilderness," Mark 1:1-4, 9-15

Sermon 2/18/18 Mark 1:1-4, 9-15 Jesus in the Wilderness             You’ve heard me say before that the gospel of Mark is my favorite gospel. Part of the reason I love it is because of Mark’s brevity. I don’t love that he’s short on details, exactly. I love that he seems practically breathless in getting the good news of Jesus to us, and that he seems to believe that the news is so good it isn’t even going to take very many words to convince you of his message! His frantic style strikes me as showing both how important and how convincing he believes Jesus’s message to be.             But, then we arrive at a Sunday like today, and I find myself a little frustrated perhaps, or at least a little challenged by Mark. In the lectionary, the series of the first Sunday in the season of Lent always focuses on the temptation of Jesus – his time in the wilderness, where he confronts Satan, and commits to God’s path rather than the flashy alternative Satan presents. This is the fo

Sermon for the First Sunday in Advent, "Hope: A Thrill of Hope," Mark 1:1-8

Sermon 11/26/17 Mark 1:1-8 Hope: A Thrill of Hope             Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is the glass of life half empty, or half full? My mom and I have gone back and forth about this a bit over the years. She’s wildly optimistic about most things, and sometimes I would say her optimism, her hopefulness borders on the irrational. If the weather forecast says there’s a 70% chance of a snowstorm coming, my mom will focus very seriously on that 30% chance that it is going to be a nice day after all. I, meanwhile, will begin adjusting my travel plans and making a backup plan for the day. My mom says I’m a pessimist, but I would argue that I’m simply a realist , trying to prepare for the thing that is most likely to happen, whether I like that thing or not. My mom, however, says she doesn’t want to be disappointed twice, both by thinking something bad is going to happen, and then by having the bad thing actually happen. She’d rather be hopeful, and enjoy her state of

Sermon for Second Sunday in Advent, "Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright," Isaiah 11:1-10, Mark 13:24-37

Sermon 12/3/17 Mark 13:24-37, Isaiah 11:1-10 Peace: All Is Calm, All Is Bright             “Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon’ virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace.”             This week, I read news stories about North Korea testing a missile that perhaps could reach across the whole of the United States.             This week, I spoke with a colleague in ministry who had, like all churches in our conference, received from our church insurance company information about how to respond in an active shooter situation. She was trying to figure out how to respond to anxious parishioners and yet not get caught up in spending all of their ministry time on creating safety plans.             This week, we’ve continued to hear stories from people who have experienced sexual assault and harassment, as the actions, sometimes over decades, of men in positions of power have been